Mental health is striving for progress, not perfection

 I was born in the United States to two Mexican immigrants who worked hard to provide opportunities for our family. From them, I learned responsibility and involvement. My focus on my studies led me to UC Berkeley, but it also put me at odds with accepting myself.

That statement is a great reminder of the importance of taking care of our mental health. In our society, there is often a lot of pressure to be perfect, to always be productive and successful, and to never show weakness or vulnerability. However, this kind of thinking can be detrimental to our mental health and well-being.

Striving for progress means acknowledging :

that we are human and that we will make mistakes, experience setbacks, and have difficult emotions. It means recognizing that growth and change Therapist near me

  take time, and that small steps towards improvement are still steps in the right direction. On the other hand, striving for perfection can be a never-ending and exhausting pursuit that can lead to anxiety, burnout, and even mental health problems. It can also create unrealistic expectations and set us up for failure, making it difficult to feel satisfied with our accomplishments.

Therefore, focusing on progress rather than perfection can help us be more compassionate with ourselves, celebrate our successes, and take care of our mental health in a more sustainable way. It encourages us to prioritize self-care and seek support when we need it, rather than pushing ourselves to the brink of exhaustion.

Facing my reality:

The stigma of mental illness within my minority family led to many days of suffering. Growing up in a low-income community, my parents focused on providing us with the necessities, and they didn't have much energy left over for emotional connection. I felt alone in a fight that I shouldn't have been fighting. In my home, emotions weren't really discussed. You were seen as weak and incapable if you were struggling.

My parents sought help for my brother when doctors told them that he had a neurodevelopment disorder. I'd hoped for the same care when it came to my mental health concerns, but that wasn't my reality.

Steps to check in on your mental health:

1.      Prioritize yourself:

Throughout my journey, I've discovered what my needs are in times of distress and push them towards the top of my list of priorities. The hard truth is that the only person who can know us the best is ourselves. We need to be mindful of that. We can’t expect people to read minds, so we have to be vocal about our needs before chaos occurs.

For example, I sought academic support by joining the Disabled Students’ Program when I arrived at UC Berkeley, which established a line of communication for me when school would get the best of me.

2.      Be honest:

Talking about your mental health can be scary. It can feel like you're opening yourself up and becoming vulnerable. But it's essential to being honest with your therapist if you want to make any progress.

I know from personal experience that it's not always easy to share everything with your therapist. There have been times when I haven't felt comfortable revealing certain things. But I've realized that nothing will get better if I don't tell the truth.

So if you're struggling with being open with your mental health professional, I advise you to try it out. See what happens when you're honest about what's going on with you. It could make a big difference in your recovery.

3.      Trust the process:

It's hard to believe that any progress has been made when you're feeling drained, lacking motivation, and lost. It can be especially frustrating when you feel like the days are going by slowly. Remember to take it one day at a time. It's hard to notice how much you've changed until you take a step back and reflect on who you were. For me, I see how much more self-aware I am now and how quickly I address the issues in my life

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Best Crypto Marketing Agencies - Top Choices For 2023

Is it stressful being a dentist?

What Are Essential Oils? A Complete Guide on Aromatherapy and Its Potential Health Benefits